Monday, August 20, 2007

The Kindness of Strangers


This week I have once again been reminded why we live in Iowa. For my job, my territory comprises approximately 40 counties in Central Iowa. I routinely speak to various service organizations and church groups about the risk factors and warning signs of vascular disease. Twice in the past week, I have been given food from the groups to which I've spoken. These were complete strangers, but they opened up their doors to me, and gave me something to take home! And this is not just a 'special' week. In the past 3+ years, I have received home-grown popcorn, dried cranberries, tomatoes, watermelon, an angel figurine, numerous pens and countless meals. Sometimes I get caught up in the "busy-ness" of my own life but the kindness of strangers makes me stop to appreciate that I'm glad and proud to call Iowa home.

No comments: