Tuesday, March 25, 2008

One Sick Mama


I took Sam to my parents' house on Saturday since Brian is desperately trying to finish our final indoor project before April 1. He's moving the washer and dryer upstairs and our new appliances are scheduled for delivery that day. It's taking a bit longer than planned to get ready for them, and Sam and I aren't much help. In fact, we're no help. So we decided to make ourselves scarce to allow Brian time to work in peace.

We were having a great time at Grandma and Grandpa's house, although I was starting to experience some dizzy spells. I had four of them on Saturday. Strange, but nothing to worry about. Until 10 p.m, when I vomited a number of times. (Sorry if TMI.) That also was strange but nothing to worry about since it made me feel better. I went to bed as normal.

But when I awoke on Easter morning, the world was spinning and the dizziness only subsided if I lied down. Then the vomiting started back up again and as the day wore on, I could not keep my eyes open and things were going downhill. To make a long story short (too late), Brian took me to the E.R. in Des Moines, where we ended up spending the night in the hospital. I was very dehydrated and needed 6 liters of fluids pumped back into me, as well as anti-nausea medication. They still aren't completely sure what caused the 'world spinning' but think it was a viral infection in my ear that threw off my balance. Whatever it was, it was not fun and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Hopefully we're over this and on to recovery! Whew!

Oh yeah ... one little aside that I have to add ... as Brian was getting ready to take me to the hospital (and I was leaning over the toilet heaving), Sam came into the bathroom to give me a kiss and hug goodbye. I really didn't want to kiss him on the mouth, so I kept turning my head to give him my cheek. That little kid wouldn't take 'no' for an answer and insisted on kissing me goodbye. That just warmed my heart although I couldn't appreciate it at the time. We are lucky to be blessed with such a sweet little boy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You poor thing! Now I know what you meant on Saturday when I saw you and you got a dizzy spell. I thought it was from standing up too quickly or something to do with the pregnancy. If you need anything just let me know!

Anonymous said...

Hope you're feeling better!