Friday, January 4, 2008

Proud to be an Iowan

Last night, Brian and I both did something for the very first time -- we participated in the Iowa caucuses. It was a special birthday treat to myself. I wanted to see what all the hype and attention was about; and frankly, I was disappointed in myself for never taking part before. Nearly 3,000 media members from all over the world were here in Iowa -- little old Iowa -- to cover this first-in-the-nation event. And many other states were (and still are) questioning Iowa's role in this election process. I wanted to prove the pundits wrong and show that we Iowans are an educated people who truly care about the state of our nation, and are extremely dedicated to making an informed decision about the future leader of our country.

And, boy, am I glad I did. It felt so invigorating to meet my neighbors and hear how passionate people feel about the candidates, but more importantly, how strongly they feel about our great country. It was inspiring to hear each person talk about his or her candidate and how much passion they have for helping to change our country's path.

As I was leaving the precinct last night on a bitterly cold evening with my new friends, I couldn't help but smile and get a little choked up. I am so proud to live in this great country and meet people who care as much about change as I do. I know they are willing to do great things to help our future generations, and that makes me excited about tomorrow.

(Oh yeah, and we Iowans proved everyone wrong by showing up in RECORD NUMBERS. No one can tell us we're not dedicated. Just another reason I'm proud to be an Iowan.)

No comments: