Monday, January 21, 2008

Thank You, Martin Luther King, Jr.

Today I am reminded how far we have come since 1968, yet how far we still have to go, in the fight for civil rights. Although I was not alive during the same time as Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., his legacy lives on as I feel empowered and inspired when I hear him speak. And his dream -- along with those of countless others -- helped to change the landscape of our country. I feel he would be extremely proud that, 40 years later, we have an African-American man and a woman both legitimately running for president of the United States. He had a dream that someday it would happen, and today that dream is coming true. I hope my children will grow up in a country where they are not "judged by the color of their skin [or gender, or sexual orientation, or handicap, etc.] but by the content of their character". And I owe it to my children to lead by example and follow in the footsteps of great leaders -- such as MLK Jr. -- so they know that they can do anything they dare to dream.

No comments: