Sunday, June 8, 2008

Mother Nature













We went camping with Brian's family last night. As we returned home around 11:30 a.m., we could tell it had rained overnight. (This makes about a million days of rain in a row.) The golf course, south park and baseball field were all underwater -- which is a fairly normal occurance -- but it was higher than usual. We didn't think much about it; came home, ate lunch, did laundry, caught up on the newspaper, etc., etc.


Later, I heard a helicopter flying overhead for quite awhile and told Brian, "WHO or KCCI must be taking footage of the water." Then we both proceeded to fall asleep while Sam napped. A siren woke us briefly but we ignored it -- it drove past our house quickly like they normally do -- and went back to sleep.


Fast forward to this evening around 7 p.m. After putting Sam to bed for the night, I noticed some barricades at our intersection signaling that our road was closed. I went to check it out, and lo and behold, our little town is flooded! We were so oblivious this was happening -- just down the block! I guess we should pay a bit more attention when there are helicopters overhead and police sirens blaring.


I grabbed my camera to quickly find most of our neighbors walking around and surveying the town. It was quite interesting. I overheard someone say they "never thought they could go fishing at the football field".


But I would definitely call us lucky. We don't have much water in our basement, and even if we did, we would still feel extremely blessed. After all that has happened this spring, weather-wise, at least we have a basement and a roof over our heads.

P.S. The helicopter was Chopper 13, as there is a picture of Story City sandbagging on the Channel 13 web site: http://www.whotv.com/global/story.asp?s=8448640

1 comment:

Kate said...

I am pretty sure we saw your house on Chopper 13. Of course, I was freaking out when they showed Story City because they mentioned the golf course was under and I knew how close you guys lived to the golf course. But Ben talked me down, of course, when he helpfully pointed out how high on the hill your place was located and how common it is for the Story City golf course to flood. But still, I was freaking out just a tad. It's always helpful when people abandon common sense in the face of nature's fury. ;-)